FUNCTIONS OF SPECIAL INVESTIGATION SERVICE
The Special Investigation Service acts within the frameworks of the functions vested to it by RA Law on Special Investigation Service.
According to article 2 of the Law, Special Investigation Service conducts preliminary investigation of criminal cases, related to the complicity of officials of Legislative, Executive and Judicial Power Bodies, persons carrying out state special service, connected with their official positions or with crimes committed by them, as well as electoral processes envisaged by Criminal Procedure Code of the Republic of Armenia.
When it is required, the Prosecutor General of the Republic of Armenia may take criminal cases, related to the complicity of the officials mentioned in this section, or the crimes committed by them, or by which those persons are acknowledged as aggrieved, that are under the proceedings of the investigators of other Investigation Bodies, and transfer them to the proceedings of investigators of Special Investigation Service.
The Special Investigation Service is an independent state body and exercises its powers independently. The Special Investigation Service is managed by the Head of the Service. The seat of the Special Investigation Service is Yerevan city.
The legal guarantees of the activity of Special Investigation Service are established by article 17 of the Law, according to which, posing obstacles to the performance of duties of an employee, not meeting the legal requirements, making infringement or its threat on his/her or his/her family members’ life, health or property, causes liability envisaged by law. The Prosecutor General of the Republic of Armenia brings criminal prosecution against the employee of Special Investigation Service and decides the subjection of the criminal case.
THE HEAD OF SPECIAL INVESTIGATION SERVICE:
• organizes, supervises and manages the activity of the employees of the Service;
• shares duties among the employees of the Service;
• adopts decisions related to the organization of the activity of the Service, gives orders, task orders and indications;
• assigns official investigations or terminates them, replaces the executor of the official investigation;
• approves the structure, the staff list and the Charter of the Service;
• submits a motion to the President of the Republic of Armenia, on conferring highest class degree to the employees of the Special Investigation Service;
• organizes reception of citizens, examines appeals and applications lodged against the employees of the Service;
• organizes the logistics of the Service;
• manages the assets of deposit account of the Service within its powers vested by the Legislation;
• organizes the professional and special training of the employees of the Service;
• encourages the employees of the Service or imposes disciplinary punishment on them within his/her authority;
• submits proposals on the improvement of the Legislation, referring to the formation and activity of the Service;
• provides the cooperation of the Service with state agencies and local self-governing bodies, other organizations;
• publishes information on its activity, submits a written report to RA President and to the National Assembly each year, about the activity of the Service for the previous year;
• exercises other powers established by the laws and legal acts;
• the Head of the Special Investigation Service is liable for the activity of the Service.
THE DEPUTY HEAD OF SPECIAL INVESTIGATION SERVICE:
1. replaces the Head of the Service during the latter’s absence;
2. participates in the implementation of more difficult investigation operations, provides necessary assistance to investigators in their implementation;
3. summarizes and analyses the work of the Service by separate directions of its activity;
4. forms statistical reports of the Service, prepares materials to discuss during operative meetings;
5. conducts reception of citizens;
6. organizes, supervises and manages the activity of the employees of the Service by the instruction of the Head.